List of Publications
Stephen T. Chan, Ph.D.
Theology & Religious Studies
Seattle University, WA
a. English Article
- “Hermeneutics of Hope: A Dialogical Study of Paul Ricoeur and Jurgen Moltmann.” Paper presentation at the “International Conference on The Theology of Jurgen Moltmann”, held at Chung Yuan University, Taipei, Taiwan. Nov. 25-26, 2002.
Link: Paper [pdf] : Chinese Version
- Link: Paper [pdf] : English Version
- “Christian Philosophy and the Rise of Cultural Christians in China”. Paper presentation at American Philosophical Association, Midwest Conference in Chicago, IL. April 26, 2002
- "Revelation and Love: An Introduction to Augustine's Theology of History in the City of God," A Struggle Against the Time. [Perjuangan Menantang Zaman] Edited by Hendra G. Mulia. Jakarta, Indonesia: Reformed Institute Press, 2000, pp. 151-171.
- "Narrative, Story, and Storytelling: A Study of C.S. Song's Theology of Story," Asian Journal of Theology, Vol.12/1, April, 1998: 14-45.
- "Crisis and Transformation of Hong Kong," Challenger Vol.36/2: 5-7, April/May, 1997.
- "The Hermeneutical Theory of Paul Ricoeur and Its Implications for Inter-Religious Dialogue in the Asian Context." Asian Journal of Theology, Vol.10/1, April, 1996: 74-88.
- "Some Reflections on Kierkegaard's Concept of Truth as Subjectivity: A Contextual Reading of Kierkegaard's Concluding Unscientific Postscript," Church Divinity 1992. Wyndham Hall Press, 1992.
b. Chinese Articles
- Reformation and Modernity: C.S. Lewis, Troeltsch, and Recent Research
- Link: Paper [pdf]
- "Luther and Montaigne: A Paradoxical Relationship of Christianity and Humanism".
- 路德与蒙田 ︰基督教与人文主義之反合性
- Paper presentation at the “International Conference on Christianity and Humanism”, held at Baptist University, Hong Kong. Sep 8, 2003.
- Link: Paper [pdf]
- Chinese translation of David Tracy, "Naming the Present: Modernity, Anti-Modernity, and Post-Modernity," in Con-Temporary, Issue 142, June 1999, pp.116-133.
- "Pelikan and His Dogmatic Development," Logos and Pneuma: Chinese Journal of Theology, Vol.8, Spring, 1998: 303-325. (Chinese article with English abstract).
- "Doctrine, Theology, and Cultural Christian," in Cultural Christian: Phenomenon and Argument. Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 1997, pp.228-254. [Article in Chinese]
- Download of Word Doc
- "Critical Introduction to Dionysius," Preface to the Chinese translation of The Complete Works of Pseudo-Dionysius. Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 1996: 11-44. [Article in Chinese]
- "Introduction to David Tracy's Theological Thought," preface to the Chinese translation of Plurality and Ambiguity: Hermeneutics, Religion, Hope. [Harper & Row, 1987.] Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 1995: 11-27. [Article in Chinese]
- "Classical Interpretation of Christian Faith: Immanuel Kant," Chinese Churches Today, Feb/Mar, 1992. [Article in Chinese]
- "Hermeneutics and Theology," Chinese Churches Today, July, 1991. [Article in Chinese]
2. Book Reviews
- Book Review: Lee H. Yearley, Mencius and Aquinas: Theories of Virtue and Conceptions, in Ching Feng: Journal of Christianity and Chinese Religion & Culture, Vol. 38/4, December, 1995: 317-321.
- Book Review: Heiner Roetz, Confucian Ethics of the Axial Age, in Ching Feng: Journal of Christianity and Chinese Religion & Culture, Vol. 38/3, September, 1995: 227-233.
- Book Review: John B. Henderson, Scripture, Canon, and Commentary: A Comparison of Confucian and Western Exegesis, in Ching Feng: Journal of Christianity and Chinese Religion & Culture, Vol. 38/2, June, 1995: 155-159.
- Book Review: Hans Kung & Julia Ching, Chinese Religions and Christianity. Chinese Theological Journal, Vol. 4/1, December, 1991: 99-102. [Chinese]