Stephen T. Chan, Ph.D.
Theology and Religious Studies
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
Seattle WA 9812
School Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Email: email@example.com
[For Chinese Webpage, Please click here]
Current Course Webpages
THRS 230: Spiritual Traditions, East and West
THRS 203: Themes of Christian Faith
THRS 310: Christology
THRS 231: Christian-Buddhist Dialogue
THRS 393: Asian Theology
THRS 232: Christian-Muslim Dialogue
THRS 393: Chinese Religions
THRS 401: Theology of Religions
Curriculum Vitae (English) DOC
Curriculum Vitae (Chinese)
Personal Profile (English)
Personal Profile (SU)
Personal Profile (Chinese)
List of Publications
List of Publications (English)
- English Articles
- Chinese Articles
- Book Reviews
- Public Lectures
- Conference Papers
- Translation of Books
List of Publications (Chinese)
Recent Publications (1999-2000)
Chinese Theological Courses (Outlines)
Bibliography [in Construction]
Introduction to Theological Studies (At UC Berkeley Christian Fellowship)
Theology of Augustine
Theology of Martin Luther
Theology of John Calvin
Lecture on Doctrine of Holy Spirit (At Stanford University Christian Fellowship)
Lecture on Election (At Stanford University Christian Fellowship)
Christian Theology and Post-Modernism
Christian Faith and Philosophy of Kant
Theology of Karl Barth
Ph.D. The Divinity School, the University of Chicago. 1998 M.A. The Divinity School, the University of Chicago. 1990 B.D. The Chinese University of Hong Kong. 1989
1. Seattle University, Washington. 2003 till present.
Associate Professor, Theology Department
2. Seattle University, Washington. Sep, 1996 till 2003.
Assistant Professor, Theology Department
Spiritual Traditions: East and West
Themes of Christian Faith
Theology of Religions
Graduate Courses: Christian Theology in Asia
3. Regent College, Vancouver, B.C., Canada 1995 - 1996
Visiting Professor, Chinese Studies Program. Sep, 1995 - Aug, 1996.
Course: "Asian Theology." Fall, 1995.
4. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois 1993 - 1994
Lecturer, "Asian History." History Department. Fall, 1993.
Lecturer, "Asian History." History Department. Fall, 1994.
5. Saint Xavier University, Chicago, Illinois 1993 - 1994
Lecturer, "Philosophy and Religion." Department of Religious Studies. Spring, 1993.
Lecturer, "Philosophy and Religion." Department of Religious Studies. Fall, 1993.
Lecturer, "Philosophy and Religion." Department of Religious Studies. Spring, 1994.
National Student Essay Competition in Divinity (1992) awarded by the Graduate Theological Foundation: "Some Reflections on Kierkegaard's Concept of Truth as Subjectivity: A Contextual Reading of Kierkegaard's Concluding Unscientific Postscript." Church Divinity 1992. Wyndham Hall Press, 1992.
Clinical Pastoral Education
Office of Chaplaincy Services, the University of Chicago Hospitals. Completion of one Basic Unit of Clinical Pastoral Education. June-August 1993
American Academy of Religion. 1989 - Present.
Society for the Study of Chinese Religions. 1991 - Present.
Council Member of Academic Council and Publication Council, Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, Hong Kong, China. 1996 - Present.
a. English Article
- “Hermeneutics of Hope: A Dialogical Study of Paul Ricoeur and Jurgen Moltmann.” Paper presentation at the “International Conference on The Theology of Jurgen Moltmann”, held at Chung Yuan University, Taipei, Taiwan. Nov. 25-26, 2002.
- Sino-Theologie und das Denken Jurgen Moltmanns, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2004. link
- “Christian Philosophy and the Rise of Cultural Christians in China”. Paper presentation at American Philosophical Association, Midwest Conference in Chicago, IL. April 26, 2002
- "Revelation and Love: An Introduction to Augustine's Theology of History in the City of God," A Struggle Against the Time. [Perjuangan Menantang Zaman] Edited by Hendra G. Mulia. Jakarta, Indonesia: Reformed Institute Press, 2000, pp. 151-171.
- "Narrative, Story, and Storytelling: A Study of C.S. Song's Theology of Story," Asian Journal of Theology, Vol.12/1, April, 1998: 14-45.
- Link: PDF
- "Crisis and Transformation of Hong Kong," Challenger Vol.36/2: 5-7, April/May, 1997.
- "The Hermeneutical Theory of Paul Ricoeur and Its Implications for Inter-Religious Dialogue in the Asian Context." Asian Journal of Theology, Vol.10/1, April, 1996: 74-88.
- Link: PDF
- "Some Reflections on Kierkegaard's Concept of Truth as Subjectivity: A Contextual Reading of Kierkegaard's Concluding Unscientific Postscript," Church Divinity 1992. Wyndham Hall Press, 1992.
b. Chinese Articles
- Reformation and Modernity: C.S. Lewis, Troeltsch, and Recent Research
- Link: Paper [pdf]
- "Luther and Montaigne: A Paradoxical Relationship of Christianity and Humanism".
- Paper presentation at the “International Conference on Christianity and Humanism”, held at Baptist University, Hong Kong. Sep 8, 2003.
- Link: Paper [pdf]
- Chinese translation of David Tracy, "Naming the Present: Modernity, Anti-Modernity, and Post-Modernity," in Con-Temporary, Issue 142, June 1999, pp.116-133.
- "Pelikan and His Dogmatic Development," Logos and Pneuma: Chinese Journal of Theology, Vol.8, Spring, 1998: 303-325. (Chinese article with English abstract).
- "Doctrine, Theology, and Cultural Christian," in Cultural Christian: Phenomenon and Argument. Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 1997, pp.228-254. [Article in Chinese]
- Download of Word Doc
- "Critical Introduction to Dionysius," Preface to the Chinese translation of The Complete Works of Pseudo-Dionysius. Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 1996: 11-44. [Article in Chinese]
- "Introduction to David Tracy's Theological Thought," preface to the Chinese translation of Plurality and Ambiguity: Hermeneutics, Religion, Hope. [Harper & Row, 1987.] Hong Kong: Institute of Sino-Christian Studies, 1995: 11-27. [Article in Chinese]
- "Classical Interpretation of Christian Faith: Immanuel Kant," Chinese Churches Today, Feb/Mar, 1992. [Article in Chinese]
- "Hermeneutics and Theology," Chinese Churches Today, July, 1991. [Article in Chinese]
2. Book Reviews
- Book Review: Lee H. Yearley, Mencius and Aquinas: Theories of Virtue and Conceptions, in Ching Feng: Journal of Christianity and Chinese Religion & Culture, Vol. 38/4, December, 1995: 317-321.
- Book Review: Heiner Roetz, Confucian Ethics of the Axial Age, in Ching Feng: Journal of Christianity and Chinese Religion & Culture, Vol. 38/3, September, 1995: 227-233.
- Book Review: John B. Henderson, Scripture, Canon, and Commentary: A Comparison of Confucian and Western Exegesis, in Ching Feng: Journal of Christianity and Chinese Religion & Culture, Vol. 38/2, June, 1995: 155-159.
- Book Review: Hans Kung & Julia Ching, Chinese Religions and Christianity. Chinese Theological Journal, Vol. 4/1, December, 1991: 99-102. [Chinese]
3. Public Lectures
- Buddhist-Christian Dialogues. January 19, 2000. Presentation: "Opposing Truth Claims," in forum organized by the Asia Pacific Task Force of Seattle.
- Zhong Shan University, Guangzhou (Canton), People's Republic of China. December 16-19, 1998. Topics: "Postmodernism and Modern Religious Thought," and "Postmodernism and Post-Colonialism."
- Buddhist-Christian Dialogue. Panel Speaker. May 16, 1998. Organized by the Asian Pacific Task Force.
4. Conference Papers
- "Narrative, Story, and Storytelling: A Study of C.S. Song's Theology of Story." Paper presented at the American Academy of Religion, Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, University of Portland, 1998.
- "Classics and Scripture: A Comparative Study of Christian and Confucian Hermeneutics," American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting paper, Chicago, 1994.
5. Translation of Books
- Chinese translation of David Ford, Modern Theologians. Vol.1. [Originally published by Blackwell, 1989]
- Chinese translation of Helmut Thielicke, A Little Exercise For Young Theologians. [Originally published by Eerdmans, 1985.]
- Chinese translation of Alister McGrath, Reformation Thought: An Introduction. [Originally published by Blackwell, 1988.]
- Chinese translation of John F.A. Sawyer, Isaiah. Vol. 1. [Originally published by Westminster, 1984.]
- Chinese translation of John F.A. Sawyer, Isaiah. Vol. 2. [Originally published by Westminster, 1984.]
Back to Top